Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Hey, my first post!

Having been reading Vancouver housing bubble blogs such as VHB and VanCondo for the past year, I've decided to start my own. Man, life is not the same without VHB. Given the sign of bear capitulation in the recent months, I can see this mess coming to an end soon. Unfortunately, I'm not going to put my life on hold to wait out this housing mess, just for the previlege of living in the "most livable city on North America". Therefore, I'm leaving for Montreal at the end of year. The reason I start this particular blog is my observation that some people around me, especially friends and relatives, seem to think the only place to live is GVRD, for the rest of my life. To see if that's true, I'm leaving Vancouver to see what other cities has to offer, in both wage, lifestyle, and housing. To me, the Stanley Park doesn't mean much if I live most of my in a basement room in Burnaby, and pay a big portion of my income for it.

Besides going to Montreal later this year, I'll hopefully travel to the Okanagan region to see what they have to offer. Again, mild climate, diverse culture, and Olympics are not the only factors I'm considering. Income, housing cost, and overall quality of life will be my priority. Hopefully this blog will give people considering leaving GVRD a place to express their opinions and exchange some information.

3 comments:

Crabman said...

Hey, the first reply!

Sounds like you're taking advantage of this temporary RE insanity to do a little exploring. Excellent idea, I'm doing the same thing. I sold my Yaletown condo last September, and have been spending my time in Calgary and Phoenix. I originally wanted to buy a bigger place in Vancouver, but at the current prices, it just doesn't make any sense.

Have fun in Montreal!

- said...

My wife and I are looking for new jobs in Ottawa. Gatineau isn’t quite the same as Garibaldi but with RE at half the price of Vancouver that leaves lots of money left for traveling.

the pope said...

Hey Markx - Hope you have a great time in your travels - I look forward to hearing the perspective of a long-time Vancouverite living in another Canadian city. If it werent for the contract with work I enjoy I'd be out of here as well - when thats up for renewal its going to be a tricky decision whether to stay or not.

Hope you pop back into VancouverCondo.info to keep us up to date as well!

Bon Voyage!